Our vision is to inspire and empower our pupils through mathematics, nurturing their critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities so they can make a positive impact in their communities and the world.
At St Anne’s C.E. Primary School, we recognise the importance of mathematics for each child, both in the here and now and in their future. We believe that mathematics enables children to understand relationships and patterns in both number and space in the world around them and that it is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment. We intend to give each child the self-confidence and resilience to reach their full mathematical potential by ensuring that they have the ability to calculate fluently, reason clearly and logically, and problem-solve confidently.
What do we aspire to?
- Children who are confident, competent and independent mathematicians.
- Children who’ve built a deep conceptual understanding of maths and its interrelated content and who can apply their learning in different situations.
- Children with the ability to articulate, discuss and explain their thinking using appropriate mathematical vocabulary.
- Children whose substantive and disciplinary mathematical knowledge is built upon continuously from Nursery to Year 6.
- ‘Mistake friendly’ classrooms where children are encouraged to see their ‘wobbles’ and mistakes as learning moments.
- ‘Can do’ mindsets across the school. A pervasive sense that every child, staff member, and parent/carer can do maths; that maths is for everyone.
- Children who are resilient and inquisitive learners of mathematics.
- Children who can apply their mathematical knowledge to other curriculum areas.
- Children who are prepared to contribute positively to society and the world of work.
- An inspiring and engaging mathematics curriculum, taught by enthusiastic staff, which sparks curiosity, nurtures confidence and promotes enjoyment of mathematics.
At St Anne's, we follow schemes of work created by White Rose Maths. Their Yearly Overviews, detailing what area of maths your child will be learning, and when, can be seen below. If you'd like more detail, that can be found here. In our Nursery and Reception classes, our teachers follow the Development Matters guidance; more information on this can be found in the overview below.
Need something extra? White Rose booklets...
White Rose Maths have produced a range of work booklets that can be used at home. These booklets can be found on Amazon for the Kindle or downloaded below. There is one booklet for each 'unit' in the overview above, for each of the Years from 1 to 6.
Nursery and Reception
Contact your child's class teacher directly for up-to-date information on their current maths learning and how you might be able to help at home.
Maths Calculation Workshop...
Please take a look at the presentation shown at our maths calculation workshop.
St Anne's Calculation Policies...
If you'd like to know how we teach a particular calculation, and how the development of this builds up over time for our children, please refer to the appropriate calculation policy, below.
In this section, you'll find videos showing strategies for different types of calculations, including:
- long multiplication
- multiplication of a 2-place decimal number
- long division
- long division, where the answer has 2 decimal places
- multiplying a fraction by a whole number
- multiplying a mixed number by a whole number
- multiplying two fractions
- dividing a fraction by a whole number
Maths with Michael
Designed by White Rose, for parents, here are six videos covering some fundamental aspects of the maths curriculum. Click the image below.
Times Tables Rock Stars (TTRS)...
Don't know your Garage from your Studio? Take a look at either the document or the video below to find out all about TTRS.
Maths questions with video explanations...
Of particular help to our older junior children, there is a wealth of information here on each different area of the maths curriculum, along with video support.
|3D Shapes - Nets & Volume.pdf||Download|
|Add & Subtract - Column Method.pdf||Download|
|Algebra & Unknowns.pdf||Download|
|Angles & Lines.pdf||Download|
|BODMAS - Order of Operations.pdf||Download|